Tory Johnson is all about spark and hustle at work, dating back to high school in Miami Beach where she joined her all-male debate team—and became the first girl to win a state debate championship. She previously worked at ABC News and then jumped to NBC News, only to be fired unexpectedly a couple years later. The permanent scar from that experience inspired her to shift from employee to entrepreneur and in 1999 she founded Women For Hire.
As workplace contributor on ABC's Good Morning America, she is a favorite among viewers who appreciate her no-nonsense career advice. Glamour dubbed Johnson the "raise fairy godmother" for her ability to help women ask for—and get—more money. In 2010, she began hosting conferences for current and aspiring small business owners nationwide. Her fifth book, Fired To Hired, follows Will Work From Home: Earn Cash Without the Commute, which was both a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller.
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Tory
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/toryjohnson
On the web: http://sparkandhustle.com/
Posts by Tory Johnson
- On the Road with Tory Johnson
Recently I told a group of wide-eyed friends about my travel schedule as I tour the country for my Spark & Hustle conferences. Monday: Fly to Tampa and prep for our event there. Tuesday: Lead hundreds of women in our Tampa event, then fly to Los Angeles. Wednesday: Tape a segment about Spark & Hustle [...]
- Tory Johnson: Find Your Spark
Music boomed, hands swayed to the beat and headliners rocked the stage. This wasn’t a concert. It was my small business master class Spark & Hustle that kicked off the nationwide, 20-city tour in New York last week. 500 current and aspiring women entrepreneurs took tips from some of my favorite business rockstars, including Vera [...]
- Conference Confidence: No Wallflowers (or Gossips) Allowed
I have a confession: For years, I attended countless conferences and industry functions. Only after dozens and dozens of events did I start to wonder why I wasn’t getting anything out of them. I did a little analysis and realized I’d always bring someone with me—a crutch—and we’d stand in a corner talking about everyone, [...]
- Tory Johnson: Why Aren’t You Reaching Your Goals?
Good Morning America’s workplace contributor Tory Johnson asks SUCCESS Start Small Win Big entrepreneurial contestants an important question.
- Start Small Win Big 2012: Your Wk 8 Action Plan
Your Week 8 Action Plan For Week 8 (March 12), read the March 2012 issue for Step 8: Don’t Reinvent the Wheel. Then check your inbox for the March 12 Start Small Win Big newsletter. This week’s assignment is about being inspired by what your competitors do well. This week’s assignment is to do some snooping. Let’s [...]
- Tory Johnson: What Exactly Do You Do?
You’ve been there before, at a party or picnic or whatever: Ask a stranger what he or she does and 10 minutes later you’re still listening, but your eyes have glazed over because you still don’t have a clue. All you want to say is, “See ya!” If you do that in business — if [...]
- Tory Johnson: Are You More Madonna or Gaga?
Yes, she has a gigantic ego and many people find the faux English accent on this Michigan girl a wee bit pretentious, but you have to hand it to Madonna. Once red hot—less so now—she never stops. Not ever. At 53, she rocked Sunday’s Super Bowl like a singer half her age, is up for [...]
- Tory Johnson: Secrets of High-Achieving Entrepreneurs
Ever have those days when you wake up determined to tackle specific challenges? You have the best intentions about all you’re going to accomplish and you can feel the sense of elation that you’re sure you’ll experience. Then the phone rings, the dog barks, someone needs you to drop everything to help with the unexpected. [...]
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Amping Up Your Business in 2012
It’s time to take your small business to the next level. SUCCESS magazine has teamed up with Good Morning America‘s Tory Johnson to host the Start Small Win Big Entrepreneurial Challenge–a free 12-week, 12-step program to help your small business grow and win prizes for entering. Why you should enter: Is your small business where [...]
Most Popular Content
- The biggest downside to represent at Titan are in all likelihood considerring, "...
- Car shopping is stressful. Now that there are hundreds of makes and models to ch...
- I'm delighted to meet with Sally Papedis. Such an awesome job she has been ...
- This is interesting stuff ,surely.
This is also called conversational titillat...
- Thanks! Interesting posting, and i'm total agree. Hope to see more :)...
- Why the "Right" Answer May Not Be Your Answer
- Plucky or Lucky, You Decide
- Start Small Win Big Finalists: They Started Small, But They’re on Their Way to Big
- In the Sweet Business--of Cupcakes
- Where Credit Is Due
- Worried That You're Boring Your Audience? Demand Interesting Questions!